BEAST (August 19, 2022)

Heartbroken Parents Planning Funeral July 3rd For Their Son After He Drowned At A Graduation Party Right After He Graduated

Family and friends of the Dedham teenager who drowned at a graduation party are holding a “celebration of life” for the late 17-year-old boy next week.

Alonzo Polk was pulled from a pool during a grad party in the early morning hours of June 6. He was in critical condition until dying a few days later.

The incident remains under investigation, as his family and friends demand answers into his death. Polk’s death certificate has not yet been issued.

His wake and funeral have now been scheduled for July 3 at Saint Susanna Parish in Dedham. The wake will be at 10 a.m., followed by the funeral service at 11 a.m.

“Recent graduate of Dedham High School, aspiring achiever, beloved son, grandson, brother and friend,” his obituary reads. “He leaves his heartbroken parents Alonzo Junior Polk III and Debra Denise Rowell.

“Cherished brother to Gregory, Queen, Roshawn, Elizabeth, Natarsha, Denzell, Jeremie, Brittany and Tyrell,” the obituary says. “He also leaves a host of other family members and dear friends.”

Dedham Police have filed a criminal complaint in connection with the teen’s death. Dedham Police said the investigation has led to misdemeanor charges submitted to Dedham District Court for furnishing alcohol to people under 21 and reckless endangerment to a child.

“The names of individuals and details submitted to the Dedham District Court will not be public until such time as the Court makes a determination of probable cause and conducts an arraignment,” police said.

When asked this week for specific information on the hearing — the date, location, subject of the hearing and what type of hearing — the Norfolk District Attorney’s Office did not provide any new info.

The incident happened at 36 Netta Road, which is owned by James Coughlin. He was a Massachusetts State Police detective captain and recently ran for Norfolk County sheriff. Coughlin has not returned calls from the Herald.

After Polk’s death, the Norfolk DA’s Office assigned a victim/witness advocate to the case.

“Dedham Police responded to the scene and, in the 5 ensuing days, conducted interviews of persons present at the home at the time of the drowning,” the Norfolk DA’s Office said in a recent statement. “The District Attorney, with the assistance of State Police detectives, is now in the process of collecting additional investigatory material, medical records, and eventually autopsy results, for his review.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Start typing and press Enter to search