Superstar UFC fighter Conor McGregor has announced on social media that he is retiring from mixed martial arts. McGregor’s verified Twitter account had a post early Tuesday that said the former featherweight and lightweight UFC champion was making a “quick announcement”:
Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today.
I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.
I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.
Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) March 26, 2019
The name of the drink in the post appears to be a reference to Proper No. Twelve Whiskey, the loquacious Irishman’s burgeoning liquor venture.
UFC President Dana White said in a text message to The Associated Press that McGregor’s announcement “totally makes sense.”
“He has the money to retire, and his whiskey is KILLIN it,” White added. “If I was him, I would retire too. He’s retiring from fighting. Not from working. The Whiskey will keep him busy, and I’m sure he has other things he’s working on. He has been so fun to watch!!! He has accomplished incredible things in this sport. I am so happy for him and I look forward to seeing him be as successful outside of the octagon as he was in it.”
The 30-year-old McGregor is the most famous fighter in his sport, but he hasn’t won a fight since November 2016, when he beat Eddie Alvarez to become the first UFC fighter to hold championship belts in two divisions simultaneously.
McGregor also announced retirement on Twitter in April 2016, saying he’d decided to retire young, though he quickly reversed that amid a dispute with his promoters about how much he should be obligated to tout a fight scheduled with Nate Diaz that was postponed.
Earlier this month, McGregor was arrested in South Florida for stealing the cellphone of someone who was trying to take his photo, authorities said. McGregor was charged with robbery and criminal mischief. His attorney described the altercation as minor.
McGregor, who’s from Ireland, returned to UFC last fall after a hiatus during which he made his boxing debut, a loss to Floyd Mayweather in the richest fight in boxing history.
He was suspended from UFC for six months and fined $50,000 for a brawl after his loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October.
McGregor was widely expected to fight for the UFC later this year. A few hours before he announced his retirement, McGregor appeared on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” in New York and claimed he was negotiating for a probable fight in July at UFC 239 in Las Vegas.
“I don’t necessarily need to fight,” McGregor said on the show. “I am set for life. My family is set for life. We are good, but I am eager to fight, so we’ll see what happens.”
CBS Sports reports McGregor said as recently as last weekend he was in negotiations for his first post-suspension bout and was targeting July for his next return to the cage.
Never far from controversy, McGregor pleaded guilty last July to disorderly conduct in exchange for community service to resolve charges stemming from a backstage melee at a Brooklyn arena last April. McGregor was also to be evaluated for an anger management program.
Video showed McGregor apparently hurling a hand truck at a bus full of fellow fighters after a news conference for the UFC event at Barclays Center in April. Two fighters hurt by broken glass were unable to compete. McGregor was originally charged with assault, reckless endangerment and criminal mischief.
Source: CBS /AP
Photo Credit: SOHH
Photo Credit: SFGate
Photo Credit: Fp-news