A family says their “world just came to a stop” when their 14-year-old daughter was found electrocuted after using her cell phone in the bathtub.
Madison Coe was found inside the family’s Lovington, New Mexico, home on Saturday night. She loved to soak in the tub before bed, her family said.
“I went in to tell Maddy it was time to get out so we could go to bed,” her stepmother, Felisha Owens, told Inside Edition. “So I called her name, and she didn’t answer. So I went in. I thought she was asleep at first.”
“My world just came to a stop when I walked into bathroom,” Madison’s father, Logan Coe, added.
Authorities are still trying to figure out what went wrong. What is known is that Madison’s phone was being charged and the charger was connected to an extension cord to reach the electrical outlet.
The teen often took her cell phone into the bathroom to play games or listen to music as she soaked in the tub, her family said.
“Whenever I talked to Madison about it, she said, ‘Dad, it’s outside the tub,’” her father said.
Experts say that extension cords make the situation more dangerous because water could be on the floor, where the extension cord is also lying.
The girl’s stepmother, who is a nurse, and father, a firefighter and EMT, carried out CPR until paramedics arrived.
“There was so much water in her little lungs and it all seemed so unreal,” her father said.
The medical examiner confirmed the cause of death was electrocution.
“I don’t know if it got dropped in the bathtub,” Owens said. “I don’t know if she had it sitting on the toilet, playing music. Those are answers we’re never gonna have.”
Her family said Madison dreamed of having an impact on the world. Now they hope that the tragedy of her death will offer a lesson on the dangers of cell phones around water.
“You’re not supposed to bury your babies,” her stepmother added.
Source: Inside Edition
Photo Credit: Fossbytes