EXCLUSIVE: Video Taker of Macon Church Fight Breaks His Silence!

It was the video that went viral.  On May 1, 2017, a brawl at a Macon, Ga. church was captured and shared with the world.  Through the full-length version of the video, we glimpse what set the scene for the confrontation – a group of church members squared off against their pastor, determined to remove him from his position. But as the video shows, what was supposed to be a simple vote by the membership morphed into something much more unexpected and volatile.

Joy105.com has the exclusive interview with the young man who captured it all on Facebook Live.  Bobby Deshawn Ballard is a 21-year-old member of Greater Bellevue Baptist Church (GBBC), one of the larger church ministries in the city. Originally from Chicago, Ballard relocated to Macon in late 2008 and has been a member of GBBC since 2011.  He shared that the church has “thousands” of members, but only around 350 attended Monday’s meeting.  Ballard shared with us his version of what really happened on Monday and why it was never his intent for his church or his pastor to look bad.

JOY105:  What happened and made you go live on FB to show the rest of the world what was going on?

Ballard: I wasn’t showing the world. My grandma used to go to the church. She moved to Chicago. She had been at the church for a long time and she loved her pastor. We’ve been going to the church since we were young. I went live to let my grandma hear how people were down talking my pastor (saying a lot of negative things like he wasn’t doing what he supposed to do) when everybody in the church knows he’s dedicated his time and life for all of us.

What happened was we were having to vote to try to withdraw him from being the pastor. We didn’t get a chance to vote ‘cause they were having a discussion. All the older people walked up [front] and kept saying negative stuff.  So, I got the youth together to go up there, but they denied us and told us to go sit down.  We even tried to go up there one by one and they still denied us.

What really made everything pop off was the older people. Everybody’s saying I’m messy because I recorded it. But I don’t think I’m messy because I recorded it. I wasn’t cussing or saying nothing. If you hear me, I was saying “this is a church and y’all doing all of this in a church.”  Messy is all those who are doing all this inside the church and then, come Sunday, wanna act like they’re so holy. It wasn’t to put my church in a bad predicament. I was just showing my grandma.

I didn’t know it was gonna go the way it did, but at the same time I look at it as a blessing.

JOY105: Was your pastor or his wife at the meeting?

Ballard: No, he was nowhere around. They wouldn’t let him in the meeting. That’s another thing I want to clear up.  He had the authority or manpower to stop it, but he was nowhere around. We should have been able to stop everything from happening.  He wife was there, but she was in and out of the meeting. And I can’t say I actually saw her sit down.

JOY105: How did it get to the place where people were swinging at each other?

Ballard: The older people were talking saying, “Pastor this” and “Pastor that”. I don’t wanna speak bad about my pastor, but I’m just speaking the truth about what really went down. I’m not afraid of anybody and not afraid to speak my mind.

A man came up there and said our pastor “smashed” his wife. And that’s what made everybody look crazy. The young people, the old people. The old people were ready to fight.  Then, the police just sat there.  They put some people out as well, but they just sat there and let the people fight. It wasn’t like they tried to break it up or none of that – they just let them fight.  What made it happen like that was the negative vibe that the older people were bringing in the first place.

The men who were [doing the negative talking] are all members of the church. The man who stood up and accused my pastor of sleeping with his wife wasn’t a member. You can hear in the video people saying, “Who is he? We’ve never seen him.”  But y’all let him in here so y’all planned this in advance.

I’d been recording already. I didn’t know [the fight] was gonna happen.

JOY105: So, to be clear, the man who accused your pastor of sleeping with his wife wasn’t a member of the church?

Ballard: That’s right. I feel it was planned. They planned to do this. They let him in. People were at the door checking the list of who was and wasn’t a member before they let us in. We’re all equalized members and we’d never seen this man a day in our lives. What really irks me is they let him speak before they let US speak. And we’re members. We’re the youth. The youth is what really counts – to hear our voice – because we’re the future!

Y’all should wanna hear us out. Y’all should wanna understand because y’all are supposed to be role models to us.  But y’all are acting out inside a church, which is even worse.

JOY105: You’ve brought a lot of clarity that helps it make sense. When things like this happen, you hear all types of versions of what really happened. It’s good to hear from someone who was actually there in the building because all types of comments have been made.

Ballard: Another thing I want to clear up is that this happened in a part of the church, but it didn’t happen inside the church. We were in our gym. It wasn’t in the sanctuary, but I guess people still call the gym church property.

Our pastor is a great man. Whatever he does outside in his life, we don’t have anything to do with it.  In the church, he’s a great man. We come to hear the word, he teaches us the word and he also is a role model. Whatever you need, he’s there. So, we don’t like to hear anybody saying he’s a bad pastor.

I didn’t record this to say that my church is a bad church to go to or that my pastor is a bad pastor. No, he’s a great man and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. I really do mean that.

Check out Ballard’s videos below:

The full-length video leading up to the melee is linked here.

Source: Joy105.com

Featured Photo: Facebook, Bobby Ballard

Video Credit: Bobby Deshawn Ballard (Facebook LIVE)

Categories
Breaking NewsFaith/Religion
32 Comments on this post.
  • Iknow1thing
    5 May 2017 at 8:25 am

My grandaddy passed,but due to health problems he couldn’t pay his dues,to this church that he went to all his life,it broke my grandma heart when he told her that his service couldn’t be held at his church.He will get what he deserve in god eyes.

• SMH
    5 May 2017 at 12:11 am

The main problem with this whole situation like as the young man had said, they are too busy GOSSIPING instead of handing business as an adult. Why would you all be gossiping about this man personal life? Half of you doing the same thing. When you was sick who did you call? the pastor. If they had come with the agenda of voting and getting the finish, none of this would have happened. Gossiping has no business in church business. now let’s hear something constructed about why he should not be a pastor, like stealing from the church or misappropriating church money, he didn’t know how to preach or teach. This man is a good leader and all of you know it. Don’t be followers just because someone else is upset you don’t have to be to be upset. It okay to think for yourself. What happen to forgiveness, what happen to love, we all have sinned and came short. God knows we will sin that’s why he is pleading for our sin and God will deal with it.

• TshakaJaCkSon
      5 May 2017 at 7:25 am

See I can tell you knows nothing about the whole story some people are worried about his lifestyles because he’s a leader and this is something serious because if people stay under that leadership can possibly go to hell, that’s why you should know God for yourself! He has stole money, he has had fundraisers using church name and didn’t turn money in, he is a liar! And he don’t care that he lie and do wrong, he has no job but the church and he’s trying to suck us dry we have no money to pay bills and it’s sad so yes he’s a cheater, yes he’s a liar, yes he’s a thief , yes he’s a con artist , yes he need to go away! You Breyer check your source before you come for me!

• RTV
        5 May 2017 at 10:08 pm

You go Ms Jackson they quickly to say we all have sin : cheated lied or whatever in the past.but he still doing it so I have a question for you females who see no wrong in him who except your man cheating on you multiple times? And do you think it’s ok for your man or husband to beat you? I don’t Condon domestic violence and I don’t believe in cheating in a marriage or a relationship. So what he do in his personal life does matters because if don’t except in my house I’m not going to except in it it the house of the Lord

• Relentless Renegade
    4 May 2017 at 6:22 pm

Audrey Bailey,

How do you know if Ms. Jackson is praying or not? Are you with her in her secret place? If not, then only examine yourself and vere right.

• Audrey Bailey
      4 May 2017 at 7:48 pm

With her health problems, she should never get off her knees, I have known her, her hold life. Don’t play games with me, I’m not the one.

• TshakaJaCkSon
        4 May 2017 at 8:03 pm

What health problems ? You don’t know anything about me! But what I do know is you was for Colts the same way your for Stephens and will be for the next!! So I can post what I want to post&theres nothing you can do to me!

• Tshaka JacksOn
        4 May 2017 at 9:00 pm

You playing because I have no health problems and before you go trying to talk about ppl health concerns and problems know yours better yet sing yourself up for a AA class! What does the Bible say about drunks? Now Let’s Talk!???

• Audrey Bailey
          5 May 2017 at 6:55 pm

Let’s go to court since you have never seen me drink, but a drink, drink, look at a drink or write the word drink. You on the other hand have medical problems or your mother is a liar.

• TshakaJaCkSon
            6 May 2017 at 8:30 am

You don’t even know who you talking to, or about ! You just as crazy as a bed bug!! Who’s my mother?! You know nothing about her ,you think you do ! But wrong !!!!

• RELENTLESS RENEGADE
    4 May 2017 at 4:13 pm

Open Letter to Greater Bellevue & Friends:

Greetings!

It is my understanding that many of you have been misinformed and have been taken advantage of under the leadership of your pastor David F. Stephens, however, this is only half of the battle you are fighting within. Consider the real issue you face.

As Christians, you all have been taught to remain docile and ignorant to the true power that each of you possess as children of the Most High God. Recent events, having exposed the division among you, have caused many to forget the true reason for these revelations.

It is not so much the man, but the spirit in which the man operates in that has led to great turmoil and destruction of your church family. This man will be dealt with, but I urge each of you to examine yourselves and act accordingly to what is found.

Matthew 7:17
    “For every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the deceased tree bears bad fruit.”

Who among you can prove your life to be a reflection of the God you serve?

Many of you are faithful members of the church. You pay tithes, give offering, quote scripture, sing hymns, and confess your love for God every Sunday, but are empty and spiritually weak in your daily lives.

It is not the fault of one man that your spirits are confused and led astray. Christians, in my opinion, are weak – having not been taught to take personal responsibility for your actions. Each of you have been given full control over your situation, yet you look to one man for spiritual guidance and leadership.

God has given you the tools needed to conquer every battle, yet you continue to give away your personal power to uknown entities. You blame trouble on the devil, when in reality – you are in control of your fate.

Psalms 82:6
    “I said, you are gods, and all of you are children of the Most High.”

John 14:12
    “Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.”

Who among you presents himself as a god, described in Psalms 82? Who among you performs the works and even [greater] works of Jesus as explained in John 14?

If indeed your Father has many mansions, where is your mansion? What works do you perform to prove worthy of being called righteous in the sight of God.

Do not be distracted by the true cause of these matters, for if you were strong in your faith, then your life and your church would be a reflection of these things.

No one man is at fault, but each of you, having been led astray by your own personal doings.

1 Corinthians 12:12
    “For as the body is one, and hath many parts (members), and all the parts of that one body, being many, are one body: such is the body of Christ.”

Examine your part in this before placing the blame on one. Study to show yourself approved in the sight of God. If truly you consider yourself righteous, then surely your life would reflect your works. If not, then each of you have much work to do.

Before the church, you each have a responsibility to yourself. Take heed to these words, and repair first, that which is broken within. Be Blessed.

Sincerely,

((RELENTLESS RENEGADE))

• Audrey Bailey
    4 May 2017 at 4:10 pm

Then Miss. Jackson, you must not be saved, because all you’re doing is posting, why are you not praying?

• TshakaJaCkSon
      4 May 2017 at 7:58 pm

I’m praying and posting I said for the people who don’t know what’s going on they need to stop posting and pray too!!!

• Member
    4 May 2017 at 1:39 pm

Yes the elders may have made a bad decision about letting a great pastor before Stephens but they see now that was a terrible mistake. At this point it’s no ones fault. It’s lessons learned. What harm are the elders doing by trying to vote out someone who isn’t suitable? How are they at fault by trying to fix the mistake they’ve made? They clearly see their mistake and they are doing their best to fix it. Also, their doing it in a respectful way. No one is judging Stephens, we’re simply stating facts. Practice what you preach and always lead by example or simply step down. I understand we’re you are coming from Tashaka Jackson and agree with your comment 100%.

• Imogene
    4 May 2017 at 1:24 pm

He who is without sin, please cast the first stone. No sin is no greater than another one. Sin is a sin. We all fall short of the glory of god. Ask and you shall be forgiven of your sins. This for all the holy rollers. The ones who play church on Sunday. God bless yall.

• TshakaJaCkSon
      4 May 2017 at 1:34 pm

No one playing church but him!! Know your facts before you speak on it!!! I’m a working in progress! Never have claim to be something I’m not!!

• Stefan
    4 May 2017 at 11:25 am

Brothers and sisters; Pray for each other, and do not allow the devil to win this fight, be aware of the trick of the enemy. “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”
    ‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

• Nobody
    4 May 2017 at 10:33 am

Didn’t know this was the same pastor that caused my friend and his wife to split after 16 years. They we’re members of this church. He was texting his wife and they we’re meeting up secretly and he found out. Now this I do know!

• TshakaJaCkSon
      4 May 2017 at 1:35 pm

See ppl think these are lies! It’s true he’s a liar and cheater !

• my opinion
    4 May 2017 at 8:35 am

I do not attend Greater Bellevue Baptist Church (GBBC) although I know for a “FACT” that the pastor Stephens has been committing adultery for years with a married woman. I honestly believe pastors who commit adultery should face a permanent ban from the pulpit!!!

• Tired
    4 May 2017 at 7:41 am

Like he said, the OLD people started it. The elders in the church wanted Stephens out from the begining, but this is honestly TRULY their faults, we had a GREAT pastor before Stephens (Not tryibg to discredit him) and they sent him on his merry way. But these elders point fingers like that long drawn out paragraph that is in the comments. It was EVERYBODY’S fault except those damned elders. Even in church, it’s always the elders gossiping and spreading rumors. Those boys were dead wrong to fight but sadly thats how Macon is.. crime ridden and poverty stricken. Those elders wanted Stephens gone and in my opinion they need to go ahead a lie on their death beds instead of my pastor!

• Wwjd
      4 May 2017 at 8:49 am

God is not in you to say such things like this!!! Your Pastor clearly have a lot of y’all confused and conflicted and he needs to step down God is not the Author of confusion!!!!

• TshakaJaCkSon
      4 May 2017 at 9:57 am

How did the elders start? What lies are they telling ? Everything that’s exposed of this man is true!

• Chanty Williams
    4 May 2017 at 6:54 am

It’s sounds to me some of you all church folks are very very MESSY and need to mind y’all on lives but you say you been a member since 89 and you still there if you not comfortable with his word and his ways why are you still there I no you want to judge the pastor and his wife life’s like you want to judge my son who you no nothing about see that’s what I mean when I say MESSY Mind your own business and stop judging people lives Come on now act like ADULTS remember GOD see and hear ALL this MESS he’s in CONTROL not YOU!!!!! It’s up to the people if they choose to repent there life’s to CHRIST and if Not they will get or become barque

• TshakaJaCkSon
      4 May 2017 at 10:05 am

I have been there since 89, and I have a opinion and you can’t take that away from me! I’m sit there because this my stomping ground! I will not move til God tell me to do so! You can call me messy and again this is your opinion which I don’t care about ! Plz make sure you pass this alone to your son that God see and hear so he can share with his wonderful pastor!! This my opinion and No one can do anything about it!

• TshakaJaCkSon
    4 May 2017 at 2:29 am

This is such a lie! The older ppl didn’t start that fight! They had nothing to do with it, all they did was vote! Stephens have been going wrong for years and God is pulling the cover from him!The man that spoke about Stephens sleeping with his wife some of the church knew about that because he would slip in a tell Stephens wife about it! It’s no secret that he is sleeping around he have slept with one of the Deacons daughter! People are intitled to voicing there opinion and that’s what started that fight, the group was so big , you didn’t know who was for Stephens or not. This young man who wrote this may be a member but when the last time you been? When the last time you paid tithes? When the last time you been to church to know that the church is broke?! This story is a lie! And first off u have no business speaking on it first because Stephens called this drama and division in the church now he wants to hide 13wmaz been trying to contact him but no reply but he’s been on Facebook …smh! His lifestyle is not suitable to be a pastor, he can’t guide and tell the people how to live and do right when he’s doing wrong! Another lie Bellevue is not the biggest church in the city, see how much you been coming! Stephens wife and stepdaughter been knowing this been going on but have kept quiet let’s just face it! He is not a true man of God and it’s time for him to Go! He’s there for the money not to save souls! So next time Simone wants to do a interview please tell the truth and stop trying to make yourself look good and tell lies because you knows nothing about Stephens but he stand up in front of the church and tell lies and sleep with multiple woman’s ! I have been a faithful member since 1989! I have witness it all but never nothing like this.

• WOw
      4 May 2017 at 3:00 am

I’ve never seen people so hateful, so bitter, so unwilling to read. You’ve been a member of the church 28 years and learned what? To judge ppl based on how many times they come to church and how much they pay in tithes? This is sickening!
      Let he that is without sin cast the first stone! You talking all this negativity sounding like you ready to fight right now! God bless y’all man!

P.s God don’t need y’all to fight his battles. He said hold YOUR PEACE and let the Lord fight your battles! If he wants the pastor out the church, he will walk him out himself! God ain’t told y’all to smear this man name and try to force him out! That is in no way of God! Man these RELIGIOUS CHURCH FOLK, carry a bible all day and ain’t got no clue what’s in it or how to use it!

• Wwjd
        4 May 2017 at 8:55 am

Wow! Your Pastor got you so confused you don’t even know the true definition of “Judging” That clearly was facts being stated has nothing to do with judgement!

• TshakaJaCkSon
        4 May 2017 at 10:17 am

Trust me I’m not ready to fight! Yes I did say when have you been to church and paid tithes. Those are the ones who are more involved in the church that know what’s going on! How can a person give you directions to somewhere they never been? You have to have been there to know so if you haven’t been to church how do you know what’s going on and to come in thinking you know but really don’t ! I know the Bible not just carry it! If you so saved you wouldn’t even comment you’ll be praying instead of posting !

• WOw
          4 May 2017 at 10:42 am

None of the comments are facts. They are comments/opinions. That’s the problem. Everybody wants to pass their opinion off as facts. You are free to think what you want to think. But at the end of the day yes you all are being very judgmental. Y’all think y’all the author and finisher of this church. Y’all not. Y’all don’t have no heaven to put ppl or a hell to get them out of.
          Oh and you not saved either huhn? What you doing? Responding to me! She how hypocritical you’ve learned to be in 28years? And you don’t even see it. Just spitting out foolishness on people’s lives.
          Your the one that needs prayer and I absolutely will pray for you. You sit under someone, Sunday after Sunday who you hate, dread to hear his voice, somebody you say lying in the pulpit…. you stay and go there just to spiteful and mean and give dirty looks, whisper and gossip! That’s so out of order. God does things decently and in order!
          I’m done! Y’all ain’t gone get me fired up this morning with this foolishness. By the way I did pray for all of you last night and bout to do it again this morning! 😘

RELATED BY