BEAST (August 19, 2022)

Her 17 Year Old Died Three Days After Testing Positive For Covid19

A Tinley Park mom says her daughter died just three days after the otherwise healthy teen was hospitalized with coronavirus just before Christmas.

Sarah Simental, a Lincoln-Way East senior who just turned 18 last month, first reported a minor headache on Dec. 16, her mother Deborah Simental said. The next day, she began feeling congested and had a sore throat.

“My immediate thought was these are symptoms of COVID,” Deborah Simental said.

Outside of her home, Simental had only seen her boyfriend prior to experiencing symptoms, her mother said.

On Friday, her symptoms continued as she developed a fever, chills and vomiting.

Saturday morning, her mother took her to get a coronavirus test and that evening her results came back positive.

Early Wednesday morning, Simental went to Silver Cross Hospital after she started experiencing pain in her left shoulder. While there, her oxygen levels dropped and Simental was placed on a ventilator and taken to the intensive care unit.

Because of coronavirus protocols, Deborah Simental was not able to see her daughter while she was hospitalized, but she did have a phone conversation with her as she was moved to the ICU.

“I said, ‘It is going to be okay’ and she knew she was going to miss Christmas – she loved Christmas,” Deborah Simental said. “The last words she said to me is, ‘Mom, it is going to be okay.'”

On Christmas Eve, Simental said she was finally able to visit her daughter, but at that point, the teen was already sedated.

“I can only hope that she was able to hear me as I was talking to her,” Deborah Simental said.

By Christmas day, the 18-year-old was being airlifted to University of Chicago Medical Center and on Dec. 26, she passed away.

“It was that quick,” Deborah Simental said. “No underlying conditions at all. She was a very healthy, 18-year-old young lady. We were proactive with health, we had all gotten flu shots and knew the importance because I stressed it all the time when it comes to social distancing and making sure we had masks.”

According to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office, Simental died of acute hypoxic respiratory failure due to coronavirus.

“It took her. It took her – a perfectly healthy 18-year-old girl,” Deborah Simental said. “I still cannot wrap my head around it.” The don’t know how she contracted the virus.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Start typing and press Enter to search