Dick’s Sporting Goods announced Tuesday it will remove firearms from 125 of its stores, according to news reports. The move follows the company’s ban on assault-style weapons last year in the wake of the Parkland shooting.
CEO Ed Stack said Tuesday that Dick’s will pull hunting gear from 125 stores starting in around August in response to its slumping sales in those stores, Bloomberg reported, a move that may spread to more stores next year.
Dick’s last year announced it would ban sales of assault-style weapons after the Parkland, Florida, school shooting and revelations that its shooter, Nikolas Cruz, had purchased a gun from a Dick’s store. The company also halted sales of high-capacity magazines and guns to anyone under 21 years old.
Hunting products started vanishing from 10 Dick’s stores last fall as the retailer swapped those items for products such as kayaks and baseball gear. Stack said the stores saw higher sales, margins and foot traffic than when they had guns, according to Bloomberg.
Adjusted same-store sales fell 3.1 percent over a 12-month period ending Feb. 2 when compared to that period the year prior, The New York Times reported.
Dick’s operates 729 stores along with 94 Golf Galaxy stores and 35 Field and Stream stores, according to the newspaper.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation expelled Dick’s from membership last year for “conduct detrimental” to the firearms trade group, but Stack remains undeterred in the company’s direction.
“If we had a mulligan, we’d do it all over again,” Stack said, per CNBC.
The CEO signed a letter last month backing a federal bill extending background checks, the network noted, and recently joined the Everytown Business Council for gun safety.
Source: Josh Hafner, USA TODAY
Photo Credit: SFGate
Photo Credit: Patch
Photo Credit: The Truth About Guns