An 8-year-old boy was bitten by a shark on a North Carolina beach over the weekend — marking the third shark attack in the state so far this month.
The boy, whose name was not released, was in the water at Bald Head Island around 4 p.m. Sunday when a shark grabbed him by the leg, Village Manager Chris McCall told local station WECT.
“A young boy was bitten by something [thought] to be a shark given the type of wounds sustained and assessment made by first responders,” McCall told the outlet.
The boy initially was treated by public safety officers on the island, and then taken to the hospital on a local ferry, he added.
The boy is being treated for multiple puncture wounds, but he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Dean Davis, whose family travels to Bald Head Island each summer from Kentucky, told the outlet he was shocked to hear what happened.
“I’ve heard about shark bites and attacks, but nothing really here, so this is kind of news to me,” said Davis. “It’s not to scare people, but if you see something, get out of the water a minute, watch, and just be careful.”
While unprovoked shark attacks are rare — there were 66 worldwide last year, and four fatalities — two other people fell victim to shark bites in the state this month.
Just last week, a shark chomped down on 19-year-old surfer Austin Reed’s foot as he rode the waves at Ocean Isle Beach.
And on June 2, 17-year-old Paige Winter lost her leg and two fingers in a shark attack at Fort Macon State Park. Her dad dove into the water to save her — punching the shark in the face five times before it let go.
Photo Credit: ABC News – Go.com